I won’t lie, I LOVE New Year’s. Not because I am excited for the year to be over — 2014 was absolutely incredible — but because the idea of starting fresh is so damn awesome. It’s flipping over to a new page on the calendar, literally and figuratively. It’s starting over at one again. A clean slate. The new year is almost upon us and it’s dizzying to think of all of the possibilities — the places we can go, the people we can meet, the things we can accomplish, the steps we can take.
For this reason, I also love making resolutions for the new year. I know some people hate it. Some think it’s too much pressure. It’s setting yourself up for failure. But I personally love attempting to live up to a challenge. Having it here will help to keep me accountable, since I would love to do a recap at the end of December 2015 and tell where I wound up with my goals, and I’d love for my progress to be significant.
I think the biggest thing to remember is that things change. It’s okay if you get halfway through the year (or, ya know, to February) and some of your goals don’t make sense anymore. It’s okay to tweak things. It’s okay to add goals, replace old ones, or change the ones that are there. Life, and us as people, are ever-changing, and that’s a good thing. But it’s also okay to not accomplish everything. Try not to get so distracted by the things that you couldn’t accomplish that you lose your pride for the things you could.
Anyways, here’s my resolutions across the board:
- I’d love to follow Kaylah of The Dainty Squid’s lead and do a Project 365 — a photo a day for the entire year. I’ve been wanting to take more photos for fun and I think this is the motivation I need! An added bonus is it will be great to blog throughout the year and I think that will help keep me on track.
- I want to be more active in 2015. I don’t want to limit myself to one thing, ie saying I want to run x number of miles or do x number of workout DVDs. But I’d like to work out a minimum of 3 times per week in some way — walking/running, weight lifting, hiking, playing sports, whatever. I also am not focusing on inches or pounds — my goal isn’t to lose a specific amount of weight or fit into a certain size. It’s just to be healthier and stronger than I am now.
- In the same vein of being more active, I want to be more adventurous with Mukow. I admit that we can get stagnant with her and just do the same things all the time — playing in the yard and walks around the block. She deserves better and we would benefit from getting out with her more, too. So I’d like to visit 10 new places with Mukow — I don’t care if they’re all within city limits as long as they’re new to either us or her, and as long as we have fun adventuring!
- I want to get up to 300 posts total on this blog. It shouldn’t be too hard — I hit 200 posts just a few days ago. But I really want to keep this blog active, especially when my busy season hits in the spring!
- I want to print more photographs. I have a bunch of Instagram photos that I printed over LAST winter and… that’s it. I’ve taken HUNDREDS of photographs this year, both with my camera and my phone, and they’re sadly all stored on the computer. NO MORE. I want to print at least a handful of photos EVERY MONTH so I can display them in my office and around the house. Whether it’s having them professionally printed, getting square prints at Printstagram, or just printing them at Staples… it needs to be done!
- I want to spend more time with friends and family. I know this depends highly on coordinating many peoples’ schedules so I don’t want to set the bar TOO high, but I’d like to hang out with friends and/or family AT LEAST once per month. Whether it be hanging out at the beach, having dinner together, going bowling, whatever… I just want to spend time with them and make them more of a priority.
- I want to READ more! I only half-finished a handful of books in 2014. I have SO many books I’m dying to read and I just don’t make the time for it. So in 2015 I want to try for a fairly modest goal of reading 5 books. I’m hoping I can do better than that but 5 would be pretty awesome!
- 2014 was a big year for parties and I loved it, so for 2015 I’d like to hostess at least 5 parties. They can be any type — outdoor BBQs, murder mystery, dinner, whatever. But I love entertaining and want to do more of it!
- This is long overdue, but I’d like to learn how to swim. I know, how am I 27 years old and don’t know how to swim? I never took lessons when I was a kid and as I got older a natural fear of water developed since I knew if I were tossed in a pool I’d just flounder around. My friend Cortney offered to teach me some basic skills so I want to finally jump in (see what I did there?)!
- Since I need something beauty-related on here, I’d like to try 10 new-to-me things with my hair and/or nails. I love trying new hair styles and love painting my nails but don’t do either nearly enough. I want to put some effort into finding cool tutorials and getting inspired. I feel so confident and awesome when I put time into getting ready!
HELL YES, 2015. I’m ready for you. 😉 What are some of YOUR goals for the new year?